Saturday, June 6, 2009

Brooklyn is lovely.

Where to even begin...
Well my editor told me about the Renegade Craft Fair this week and I knew I had to go.
Oh what a fair it was. First of all, I was excited to explore Brooklyn more. I love it there, absolutely feel like it's somewhere in between Columbia and Manhattan. And that's just the right combination for me. 

So this fair. It had over 250 booths with all kinds of vendors selling jewelry, clothing, suitcases, cards, posters, ceramics, soaps, purses, the list goes on and on. A lot of the vendors were people who sell their stuff on etsy so it was such a great place to see them all together.

All I kept thinking was: What can I do for a career that enables me to do this every day of my life? I was simply elated looking at everything people made and blown away from the amazing creativity in some pieces. For example, one woman made silver and gold rings from apple seeds she'd sewn together then (what I assume) dipped in silver and gold. Others were lace dipped in silver and gold. Brilliant, just brilliant.

I bought a few things, not nearly everything I fell in love with, though. Here are some pictures from the day to partially get across the beauty of it all. I'm excited to see the coverage on design*sponge, I'm sure she'll have better pictures.

these clothes were imprinted with different types of leaves. you know how I love leaves.
green. pearls. enough said? I couldn't buy them because this booth only accepted cash, but I might shoot the artist an email and see if she'll sell them on her etsy site.
just a neat vendor sign.
this dog had it made. his owner carried him around on his shoulder.
inspiration for my next craft: finding old hard suitcases at thrift stores and painting them or modge podging pictures on top. if I find a few, I'd like to stack them and make a side table out of them.
such a great day with the roommates.
Penny Licks. Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream even tastes lovelier in Brooklyn
MIZ-ZOU. Kind of.
just love the buildings in Brooklyn.

how could you not take a picture of these two?
not even all of the business cards I picked up along the way. cutest business cards ever.
my splurge necklace-green pearl! this picture doesn't do it justice
other purchases: stitched pouch for my purse and four cards that I plan to frame.
hard to describe this ring. it's plastic outlined in gold paint with trees drawn on the inside.
goodbye Brooklyn, I hope to see you again soon.

2 comments:

abby! said...

What a fun day! I'm so jealous (told you I'd be using that word a lot when describing my feelings about your summer in New York.)

PS I love how all of our communication happens between blog comments. :)

Sarah Nabholz said...

I was so excited to see your post from today after reading your twitter. I would give a weeks pay to spend a day in your shoes!

I miss you and I'm so glad you're enjoying your summer!