Saturday, June 6, 2009

musings and happenings whilst in New York

-I miss singing along to music, whether in my room or with friends in the car. We've seen several people singing on the subway or while walking on the sidewalks. First we looked at them like they were crazy. Then Ashley made the comment that they don't have the opportunity to sing in their cars so where else are they going to sing. She said it half-jokingly, but I found it to be so true. I wonder if by the end of the summer I'll be singing out loud in public.

-During my first week of work I've forgotten I live in New York, sort of. My schedule has pretty much consisted of sleeping, going to Good Housekeeping, coming home exhausted, having some sort of food combination that constitutes dinner, then going to sleep and repeating the day. Sure I take the subway everywhere I go, but I forget about everything else that is in the city besides my routine to-and-from-work commute.

-I got my first manicure and pedicure this week since I don't know when with my brother's girlfriend this week . I never got them before dances in high school and don't routinely get them in college, but it was such a nice hour of relaxation after work. I also just liked hanging out with her solo and getting to know her even more.

-It's become normal to hear accents, foreign languages, see relationships of all sorts, and all around diversity. I wonder what it will feel like when I hear another language back in Shreveport or Columbia? Will I abruptly turn and stare or will it still feel like second nature? Maybe I still stare here but it's because I love wondering what brought people to New York City from all over.

-Dogs in the city are one of my favorite things to see. In the rain, they're extra enjoyable to watch. I think they're a little more frantic than dogs in towns and it's interesting to see how they adjust to a less grass-full way of life. Plus, I just really miss Tippy.

-I woke up at 4 a.m. yesterday to go see Dave Matthews at the Today Show Concert Series. It was early, it was rainy, but it was a surreal way to start the day with a concert of screaming & dancing fans at 6 a.m.
as you can see, we couldn't see much
but inside of dean and deluca we had a great view

1 comment:

abby! said...

Very nice... You need some visitors to remind you of what awe of NYC looks like. How about July 17-19. You free? Sarah and I want to come!