Tuesday, June 9, 2009

free museums, what were they thinking

I need to start remembering that free often doesn't equal good or enjoyable.

I need to start remembering that 9 museums that open their doors for free to NYC do not draw the same amount of people as 9 galleries that open their doors to Columbia, MO residents on Artrageous Fridays. 

I need to remember that an eight-hour workday shouldn't be followed up with a trek to upper Manhattan to claw my way into art exhibits that are full of people budging and nudging by me. 

Museum Mile was a really lovely idea in theory. It's just not my cup of tea, though. At least not my ideal 'enjoy art leisurely' cup of tea. But I've lived and learned now, and next time I go see a museum here (aside from the galleries that are free to the public on a daily basis) I will purposely avoid free days. 

1 comment:

abby! said...

What a bummer that this wasn't what you hoped for! Hope you get some quality art time in soon without the nudging and budging...