Monday, June 22, 2009

I've been itching to blog for days now but either didn't have a moment to do so or was to tired when the moment rolled around. So here comes a recap, I hope it does the days justice.

Friday, June 18
*My editor was gone from Good Housekeeping but I had the neat assignment of looking through decades and century old copies of Good Housekeeping. Next May will mark the 125 year anniversary of the magazine (let that set in for a second...125 years) so they'd like to do a special feature for next Christmas that involves past crafts. I wish I could spend days looking through every single issue, especially from the years surrounding WWII. The assignment reminded me that there's truth in saying that newspapers and magazines are records of history. You can be told about how people lived in WWI & II, but it's a completely different, tangible thing to be able to look at the advertisements and stories that were relevant and important to people at the time (ex. "Won't be able to have a real Christmas tree this year?" "It's harder to plan meals these times"). This is where I would insert images of pages I scanned, but I hear my communication law teacher's voice in the back of my head talking about copyright laws...so I'll refrain.

*My parents were in town for my dad's cousin's wedding. Friday night we went out to eat at Pipa Tapa's Bar in the Flatiron District which is next to a huge furniture store I need to check out some other time named ABC Carpet & Home. The food was great. For dessert, I finally tried a place I read about in my guidebook called Max Brenner: Chocolate By the Bald Man. DELICIOUS. (Abby & Sarah, prepare to eat here :) ).
The crepe I had.
Great finale to the night.

"Oh love, when it rains it's sure to pour..."
Saturday, June 20
*I love New York, really. But the rain is starting to get to me. I heard this will probably be the wettest June New York City has seen in quite a few years. Of course. Saturday my parents took my roommate Amanda and I to lunch. I wanted to show them my beloved Brooklyn, but the rain managed to even ruin my romanticized perfect view of Brooklyn. I suppose it's for the best. I can't have it on too high of a pedestal now can I? I still love it, no worries. Then we attempted to escape the wet crowded streets (that really were making me wish I was anywhere but here) but going to see Whatever Works, a new Woody Allen movie. It was funny, also predictable at parts because it played upon a lot of stereotypes, especially about the south. But overall, it was something to keep us indoors, entertained and dry.

When you're here, you're family
Sunday, June 21
*Happy Father's Day! We had brunch at one of my new favorite restaurants in NYC which changes menu/name/decor with each season. So currently, it is Park Avenue Summer. We had brunch with my brother's good friend and his family. It was a really great early afternoon and further developed my love for New York's brunch tradition.

The menu featured Fruit Loops as an appetizer option. My brother felt the need to try it. He said they were good. What was special? Lemon grass milk and fresh fruit added.

*The rest of Sunday was spent in Queens. My dad has an aunt and two cousins who live there. Ester was the one getting married. 
My attempt to capture our adventurous walk to the church. Queens is not very pedestrian friendly in its roads. But thankfully we found a woman who went to school at the church we were trying to find so our sixth attempt at getting directions was successful.
The beautiful bride and groom. And the fella in the right corner is who I will stereotypically Jacques. He is a French photographer Ester specially flew in for her wedding. He was a riot though. The things he did to try to capture moments just couldn't be taken seriously. Here he asked the groom to toss the umbrella down for "wonderful picture." The umbrella flopped down on the ground. 
These two were high school sweethearts, broke up, and found their way to each other after so many years. So sweet. Their first dance was to "At Last," so fitting:)
My lovely mom.
Beautiful Manhattan skyline from the restaurant in Queens where the reception was held, Water's Edge.
My parents. Such good-looking people.
My dad dancing with his aunt. 80 years old and she couldn't stop saying she wanted to get out there and dance.
Goodnight, Manhattan.

1 comment:

abby! said...

As such good stuff. I've been craving a Valeria update lately and it was great!!

Can't wait to go to the Chocolate Place! And I hope the rain stops for you... You deserve sunshine, my friend!

Love you!!!