Sunday, June 14, 2009

oh, it is love

[[Sorry if this post seems scatter-brained and not following one direct line of thought. It's because I am and it doesn't.]]
I spent another lovely (most overused word in this blog? perhaps) day in Brooklyn. I went to the Brooklyn Museum of Art after brunch with Kelly. I think because a) I didn't really know what to expect from the museum & b) it was the first time in a while I paid a ticket to visit a museum, it was pure bliss. Pure bliss, I tell ya. 
I think the biggest "Oh my gosh moment" came when I realized that the museum housed Judy Chicago's "Dinner Party." I've studied this work in practically every art history class since high school. It's a key work in feminist art, as she creates a figurative dinner party seating mythical women as well as many of history's notable women. It's a room-size triangular table, with 39 place settings on each of the three sides. The tiles underneath the table have 999 signatures of other great women from history. Or should I say, "herstory." Chicago went so far in making her point about feminism that she refers to the heritage of women from the past as "her"story rather than "his"tory. It's a huge work of art (literally and figuratively) and I'm so glad after years of discussing it in classrooms I finally saw it in person.
An example of a place setting: a frilly little thing for Ms. Emily Dickinson.

Next, there was a wonderful exhibit of Gustave Caillebotte, now a new favorite Impressionist artist. 

There were too many unexpected jewels I found, too, but I just absolutely loved the museum as a whole. It had so much variety, for one thing. Its exhibits ranged from modern, to Islamic, from jewelry to sculpture and architecture.

[[Here's where the train of thought goes off on it's own.]]

I feel like God's hand was tapping me on the shoulder and saying, "See how you're happy right now and full of thoughts and a million questions about people and life? THIS is what I have planned for you. THIS is what I know you need in your life, in your future. So stop being so worried about what it is you want to do. Because I know your heart and where your gifts can be used." 
At least that's what I hope he was telling me. Because when I'm surrounded by art, or reading about art, or studying it, or writing about it, I just think about the world more deeply, more creatively, in a hard-to-describe kind of way that gives me an excitement and peace like no other thing. I think so much can be learned from a work of art--I fall back on this quote time and again but I find it to say so much of what I think: "Through art alone are we able to emerge from ourselves, to know what another person sees of a universe which is not the same as our own."-Marcel Proust

Until next time, Brooklyn. You never disappoint me.

1 comment:

abby! said...

I'm so glad that God is speaking to you this summer (that that He wouldn't, but it's cool to hear about your realizations...) It actually brought tears to my eyes (they didn't actually come out, but they were there.) Thanks for sharing your heart. I love it.