Monday, September 7, 2009

I rent a room & I fill the spaces with wood in places to make it feel like home

(Insert image that I cannot find of a room with the perfect glow of a lamp. Google apparently doesn't know what I mean when I search 'lamp lighting,' 'lamp ambiance' or 'lamp glow').

I'll get straight to the point: I'm a lamp-loving convert. My friend Abby hates overhead lighting and loves lamp. Maybe she's the reason why I too now crave lamps around me. Or maybe it's because I'm growing up.

Hmm, that's a stretch. Or is it?

See, my parents have always been lamp-loving people. Growing up we used lamps and not the brighter overhead lights. I wasn't a fan of this concept. In fact, sometimes I turned on the overhead light just to spite them (shameful, I know).

But in the midst of making my new apartment my own, I have found that a few simple things are sure to make a place feel homier to me.

First and foremost are flowers. I love nothing more than fresh flowers in mismatching vases filling a room with color. This past week I had the joy of having astromelias from Jonathan and sunflowers from the farmer's market spruce up my living room. They're on their last legs so I hope to find some replacements soon. But when the fresh flowers fade, I still have plants. They're simple green living things that add my favorite color to any room.

But onto the reason for this post - lamps. I finally hung my paper lanterns this weekend - two in the living room and two in my bedroom. I still haven't finished hanging art on the walls or finding the perfect throw pillows for futon, but the simplicity of warm, intimate lighting has transformed a not-so-mine place into my cozy corner of Columbia.

Other recent decorating triumphs: reupholstering my first piece of furniture (photograph to come soon) and making simple curtains from a deep coral/red fabric.

There's so much more I could say about decorating that I've recently been thinking about, but I'll save that for another post. It'll make me write on this thing sooner rather than oh-so-much later.

1 comment:

abby! said...

Hurray for lamp love! They're so great... It's great to have you blogging again. I've missed it...

Can't wait to see the recent improvements to the apartment. I'm sure it looks beautiful!