Monday, October 26, 2009

the magic of halloween

baking in my kitchen is a headache. kind of literally. the smoke detector will go off at least three times without fail. it just likes to be sensitive.

so i tend to shy away from making anything that involves the oven.

but when i stumbled upon a forgotten box of halloween funfetti cake mix tonight at, oh, 11, i couldn't help myself. nothing sounded better than making funfetti cookies (complete with orange and black sprinkles) to give my brain a break from memorizing the arab israeli conflict for my geography of the middle east exam tomorrow (this way, if i don't do well, i'll have fresh cookies waiting for me at home to nurse my mood back to happy).

but my smoke alarm is not the only thing that's funny about my quirky little apartment. the oven is too short to fit a normal size cookie sheet. so i have to make do with a circular cake pan that holds about seven cookies at one time.

also, in the midst of my excitement for my first time baking in this apartment i forgot that i never officially bought a baking bowl (can you tell i gave up on the prospect of baking a while ago?) so i had to make do with my pasta pot. hey, it's nonstick! less mess to clean up:)

thank you halloween funfetti mix for allowing me to re fall in love with baking, despite the minor adjustments my apartment requires. (oh, it helps when you take the battery out of the smoke detector... :) )

1 comment:

abby! said...

Man, I don't think I would ever survive living in your apartment. I'm so proud of you for going for it despite all of the obstacles. I may have to try one of these cookies...