Tuesday, March 16, 2010

it takes heART

Because of this magazine we're publishing about brunch I've been surrounding myself with food journalism and recipes and all thinks tasty.

I just finished reading a story in New York Magazine about Keith McNally, a restaurant "auteur" (literally: author), who is opening a new restaurant in New York soon. It was interesting to see what thoughts go into opening a restaurant. It's no secret I love food. I'm no food snob or picky eater, but I just really enjoy an artfully prepared meal. I also really enjoy an artfully put together restaurant. I found this description about McNally's restaurants really illustrative and imaginative:

"A truism about McNally’s restaurants is that they are like stage sets, with a theatrical sense of lighting, of casting, of narrative, of scale and movement and mise-en-scène. Meticulously engineered to feel like found objects excavated from a golden past that never was, his places are augmented-reality versions of the bistro, the brasserie, the trattoria, the café, the tavern. "

Also: "Blank CDs were stacked behind him; over the next month, he would choose a thousand songs to play at Pulino’s, broken down by time of day."

What a meticulously put together restaurant. I often wonder who chooses the music that is playing in a store or restaurant. It's neat to see that at least for McNally, even that decision sets the tone for what he wants his restaurant to say to its visitors.

I love seeing art creep into all aspects of life. Right before reading this article, I was reading about an ice cream place in Columbus, OH, that reminds me a lot of Sparky's here in Columbia (because of it's creative flavors) but with an artful twist. My dad was just in Columbus and thought I'd like to read up about this artsy part of the town (it was featured in an NYTimes article). The place is called Jeni's and is just incredibly cute-looking.

In the article it says: Considering the innovative confections on offer, it’s no surprise to hear the owner, Jeni Britton Bauer, explain, “I’ve always thought of ice cream as the expression of my art.” It’s a fitting sentiment in a neighborhood brimming with creativity.

Art as ice cream? I LOVE that! This made me think of my wonderfully talented friend Abby who is mastering the art of beautiful cupcakes, cakes and all things sweet and delicious. It's just a matter of time before she opens up an "Abby's" and calls cupcakes an expression of her art, too;)

This just motivates me more and more to find the art in every day and notice how almost anything can be seen as such.




















This picture has little to do with the post, BUT it shows that an artful display of even something like the New York subway system makes it so much more appealing and whimsical.

1 comment:

abby! said...

Thanks for the shout out, friend.

Loved this post... Keep up the blogging, it's great!