Monday, March 22, 2010

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

I won't say much about Jamie Oliver's new show Food Revolution because I will write more about it on my friend Bethany's blog, but I will say this.

College has shown me how much I have taken my mother for granted. That is, having daily home-cooked meals was a norm for me. I expected nothing else. Not like I didn't appreciate it; I'd like to think that I did (and do). But I also didn't realize just how much of a non-norm it was for thousands of other people.

As I get ready to graduate college and start looking to a future of working, starting a family one day and all that growing up stuff, I've been really nervous. Quite frankly, I don't know how my mom does it. Day in and day out we ate (and eat when I'm home for breaks) a variety of delicious, nutritious home-cooked meals. I want to be that type of adult, too. I want to serve others well through my cooking.

Eating healthy and simply is not a new concept to me thanks to my mom. It's what I knew for most of my life. And for that I'm thankful and convicted to maintain it in my own eating and cooking routine.

I've blogged about this before, but it's worth reiterating: like anything else in this world, food can be used well or poorly. Why shouldn't we take better care of ourselves and make the food that we eat something honest and beautiful in its simplicity?

"Quick cheap nutritious meals is what it's all about."-Jamie Oliver

"Right now in time is a moment where we're all confused about how brilliant we are and how technically advanced we are, and that is fighting with what once made our countries great, which is family, community, being together and something honestly as simple as putting a few ingredients together and sitting your family or your friends or your girlfriend or your mother-in-law around that table and breaking bread. And if you think that's not important, then shame on you."-Jamie Oliver

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is SO great and a very important concept to talk about. I can't wait to see you expand on it in my blog. :)